COGNITIVE SCHOOL GENEVA is grounded on values chosen because they encourage respect for children, their well-being and fulfilment. They are shared and followed by all the professionals working at the school and developed in the children. They equally influence how we interact, collaborate, communicate and implement our psychopedagogical interventions. The reference values on which we base our work are listed below.
- SUPPORT AND GUIDANCE VALUES
- Cognitive approach : The work with the children is based on the cognitive education approach. It consists of stimulation, transmission of tools for thinking, the development of processes essential to learning, the acquisition of functional abilities and knowledge. Emotions are also included in these processes.
- Adaptation of psychopedagogical programmes : conventional pedagogic programmes are frequently standardised and not adapted to the specific abilities of the child. Individualised psychopedagogical projects are implemented, in order to reduce cognitive under-functioning or ill-adapted content.
- Short- and long-term perspectives : Goals are designed to be achievable through work and learning. Long-term goals are always kept in mind and determine the course of action over the years.
- Autonomy and self-determination : In order to encourage a the greatest level of long-term autonomy, psychopedagogical and educational support integrates the child’s determination for learning and conduct.
- Individualisation : Each child is unique, with individual characteristics and needs that demand tailored approaches and solutions.
- Taking the child into account as a whole : The work considers the entirety of the child and of his or her needs. Ultimately, acceptance of the child is what defines the project.
- Sharing, trust, responsibility and coordination : All partners involved in the support of a child ensure the establishment of a relationship of trust and hold a personal commitment to their responsibilities. They foster opportunities to share knowledge and experiences, whilst respecting each person’s right to expression, and seek consensus with a primary focus on the child’s well-being. Tasks and responsibilities are clearly identified, distributed and coordinated.
II. COLLABORATIVE AND OPERATIONAL VALUES
- Horizontality : Cooperation is horizontal. It encourages individuals to take responsibility, and to contribute to the desired results.
- Considerate communication : COGNITIVE SCHOOL GENEVA encourages a considerate style of communication between people and facilitates training on emotional and relational intelligence.
- Training : Continued training in education, in therapy and in all human-related subjects is encouraged. New technologies are integrated into the practice to the best possible extent.
- Ethics : The ethical principles of respect, acceptance, individual differences, kindness and consideration are applied.
- Partnership : Partnership facilitates collaboration, support and the implementation of the child’s project.
- Emotional intelligence : Power relationships between people are excluded; meaningful requests are welcomed; someone’s refusal to express themselves about a topic is accepted unconditionally; the right to self-affirmation and to sensibility differences is encouraged; recognition and validation of opinions and ideas are continually reinforced; a right to make mistakes is afforded, the acknowledgement of our mistakes is strongly desired; considerate communication is applied without exception.